Thursday, June 3, 2010

What advice would you give Holden if he was your friend?

Holden is a shallow and careless character from the book The Catcher in the Rye. He is a failure at school and also in his personal life. He is kicked out of school for poor grades, he decides to leave school and not return home. If Holden were my friend I would advise him to focus on his studies, push himself to do well and never give up. Holden considers everyone around him as phonies and he criticises everything and everyone. He is liar and has a foul language; I'd advise him to be honest with others and himself; and not pass judgement on everything. Nothing interests Holden; he feels that he's too good for everything. If he were my friend, I'd tell him to look on the bright side of life, and that life isn't always fair and things don't always turn out the way one wants them to.

I'd tell Holden how valuable and precious life is. We only live once and that we should make the best of it. He should not spend his life as a drunk and in loneliness. He should appreciate the education that he is getting; he should appreciate his parents and friends; and everyone that cares for him.

3 comments: